Monday, July 16, 2007

Sunday's False Start

This unfinished canvas might have worked except for an unseen difficulty. While I had left Lunenburg for Mahone Bay without burnt sienna on Saturday, I came on site without cadmium yellow on Sunday. In addition, I had an insufficient amount of water at this location and faced a glaring sun. Things got muddier and muddier as the water I had filled up with pigments. Then it promised rain, and I retreated to the shelter of the church hall. It never did rain but this posed a problem for Ruth when she failed to find me at the place where I should have been. At this juncture, I decided the foreground flower gardens in this scene were too complex to complete within the time limit, and hastily switched to the bandstand seen below. I will also complete this painting but probably in the studio.

No comments: